Honey, don't argue with your inner critic
Mon 23 April 2012
, Tara Sophia Mohr, Wise Living
It is not a good idea to argue with your inner critic, says Tara Sophia Mohr in her recent blog for Wise Living. Because here’s the thing: if you are arguing, you’ve already lost. You can’t win arguing with someone who doesn’t respect you and isn’t listening to you, and the critic is the same way. Plus, have you noticed how the critic will keep producing new reasons, one after the other, about why you shouldn’t do whatever it is you dream of doing?
When it is determined to prevent you from leaving your comfort zone, it will cycle through excuses like someone flipping through a Rolodex.
A = This is arrogant of you.
B = You are too busy.
C = There is too much competition.
D = You lack the self-discipline.
E = You need more education first.
F = You are a fraud.
G = It’s not good enough.
H = It won’t make you happy anyway.
I = It’s impossible.
J = People are going to judge this harshly.
K= The kids will be deprived if you do this.
L = You are too late. You needed to start earlier.
M= Wanting this is materialistic.
N = No one cares about this. No one will listen.
O = This is the wrong order to do things in. Better do x, y, and z before you go for this.
P = You are unprepared. Better do more preparation first.
Q = Doing great work quietly is enough. No need to speak up or be aggressive. Just wait.
R = You need more financial resources before you can do this.
S = You don’t have the right space to do this in. Reorganize your house to create an office first.
T = You don’t have the right tools. Buy special pens instead of writing, shop for a new computer before launching the business, get the perfect website designed before telling anyone you are in business.
U = Your voice is not unique. Everyone’s doing this.
V = If you promote yourself in that way, people will think you are vain.
W = You need the perfect website before you can start (fill in the blank: seeing clients, running your business, etc.)
X = You need more experience first.
Y = You are too young. No one will take you seriously, especially not people older than you.
Z = Well, maybe your critic has nothing to say with z.
The inner critic will just keep going, with one argument after another. It doesn’t worry too much about choosing arguments with any relationship to reality, it’s just looking for ones that will cause you a big “ouch!” or “ack! that would be terrible!” or “oooh, good point….” and cause you to send yourself right back into your familiar status quo.
If your plan is to argue away each argument it shows you, you will never finish the argument. The critic will keep you stuck at the gate – arguing with the gatekeeper, and never able to actually get on that plane that is going where you want to go.
So, what to do?
Notice when your inner critic is talking to you, and label it as such. Use this list of 7 qualities of the inner critic’s voice to help you recognize when your critic is speaking up.
Why is it important to know these qualities? Because when you are clear on what your critic sounds like, you can identify yours when it speaks up – and separate yourself from it’s voice. You then have a choice: do I want to take direction from this irrational, fearful part of me – or not?
2. Name the critic when you hear it.
This is as simple as inwardly saying, “Oh, I”m hearing my inner critic talking now. Hi, inner critic.”
3. In your own way, wave hello to it.
Blow it a kiss. Acknowledge its voice. Say, “Thank you so much for your input, but I’ve got this one covered.” Move forward from the part of you that is desire, dreams, longing, aspiration, impulse to self-realization.
Welcome the part of you that is petrified of failure as your travelling companion, not as the one steering the ship.
Just one passenger onboard. A hysterical, over reactive, afraid one always pacing about and predicting disaster and crying salt water tears of worry onto the deck.
She isn’t going anywhere, but her hysterics do not need to direct the course of journey.
This is a shortened version of Tara Mohr’s blog. Read the original article on: http://www.taramohr.com/blog/
Articles in Life
- W World: 'Wonderful hotels'!! (article, 20-11-2012)
- Goodbye Summer, hello citytrips! (article, 01-10-2012)
- Saint Tropez versus Ibiza!! (article, 06-08-2012)
- Fear can be a wonderful catalyst for progress (article, 24-07-2012)
- To find your own way is to follow your bliss (video, 16-07-2012)
- See you in London!! (article, 09-07-2012)
- Leadership lessons (not) learned at the playground (article, 11-06-2012)
- Make everything OK button (article, 11-06-2012)
- Do you know yourself? Are you centered? (article, 31-05-2012)
- Disclosing information about yourself is intrinsically rewarding (article, 28-05-2012)
- Glitter & Glamour at Cannes Film Festival!! (article, 21-05-2012)
- An active personal life is good for your career (article, 21-05-2012)
- Are you MOM ENOUGH to do this? (article, 14-05-2012)
- Restaurant Noma: A Unique & Adventurous Gastronomic Experience (article, 07-05-2012)
- Honey, don't argue with your inner critic (article, 23-04-2012)
- In the Tiara spotlight: Gabrielle Kalkwijk (article, 23-04-2012)
- COO Sheryl Sandberg leaves the office at 5.30 - you should too! (article, 16-04-2012)
- Glimpsing Gaudi in Barcelona! (article, 16-04-2012)
- Lead by example: work-life balance for your team (article, 02-04-2012)
- 'We'll Always Have Paris' (article, 30-03-2012)
- Portrait Suites Rome: A Salvatore Ferragamo Experience (article, 14-03-2012)
- Sponsors wear your T-shirt in a meeting you're not in (article, 26-02-2012)
- Mas Museum in Antwerp: One of a kind (article, 26-02-2012)
- Magical Marrakech (article, 12-02-2012)
- Make your own branding statement! (article, 13-02-2012)
- Shell and LEAPwomen Energy mix (article, 06-02-2012)
- Charming Paradores of Spain (article, 29-01-2012)
- From VP tot Boss of Me: Rethinking career choices (article, 30-01-2012)
- Over 90 and still going strong (article, 19-01-2012)
- 28 Ways to Stop Complicating Your Life (article, 15-01-2012)
- Great Lifestyle Hotel for the whole family on the Veluwe (article, 14-01-2012)
- Famous women and their handbags (article, 08-01-2012)
- Hotel Trend: Hightea, Lunch, Drinks & Dinner (article, 18-12-2011)
- Inspirational quote (article, 18-12-2011)
- Ten inspiring voices (article, 12-12-2011)
- Christmas Sparkles in Paris (article, 04-12-2011)
- Working moms feel guilty, stay-at-home moms too (article, 28-11-2011)
- Inclined to always say Yes? 5 reasons to say No (article, 21-11-2011)
- Glamour Is Served!! (article, 15-11-2011)
- Confessions from men feeling guilty (article, 07-11-2011)
- Autumn Holiday on Mallorca! (article, 01-11-2011)
- In and Out of Alignment (article, 31-10-2011)
- How to move forward in spite of Fear (article, 24-10-2011)
- London 2012: A Booming City!! (article, 17-10-2011)
- CEO me!, handboek voor ambitieuze vrouwen -- en mannen (article, 10-10-2011)
- Scandinavia has stolen my heart!! (article, 03-10-2011)
- Gag-Worthy Marketing Campaigns And The Technological Gender Divide (article, 26-09-2011)
- Extraordinary Museums in Europe!! (article, 19-09-2011)
- Womance - a wonderful word (article, 17-09-2011)
- Corporate tweets en die van medewerkers vullen elkaar aan (article, 12-09-2011)
- The surprising truth about what motivates us (article, 28-08-2011)
- Social support: giving more important than receiving (article, 15-08-2011)
- Acceptance Leads to Momentum (article, 09-08-2011)
- Eliminating the 'ums' and 'uhhs' from your speech (article, 01-08-2011)
- You might want to name your daughter Deborah to help her with her career (article, 25-07-2011)
- Waarom begrijp je me niet? Beter samenwerken door het (h)erkennen van communicatiestijlen. (article, 18-07-2011)
- Echt leiderschap vraagt grondige zelfkennis (article, 11-07-2011)
- 8 Words That Should Never Appear in Your Twitter Bio (article, 11-07-2012)
- We’re not dumb enough to tweet photos of our privates (article, 04-07-2011)
- Teveel baby’s bellen 112 (article, 04-07-2011)
- Corporate personalities versterken reputatie bedrijf (article, 06-06-2011)
- Dare change (video, 05-06-2011)
- Does stress help us succeed? (article, 17-05-2011)
- Don’t do what you love (article, 09-05-2011)
- Work/Life Balance Across Time Zones and Technologies (article, 09-05-2011)
- Can there only be one ‘power’ in the power couple? (article, 03-05-2011)
- Holistic Leadership: The Starbucks example (article, 25-04-2011)
- Belizean Grove: (secret) old girls network? (article, 11-04-2011)
- Get A Thick Skin (article, 03-04-2011)
- Complete that difficult task faster with music! (article, 29-03-2011)
- 10 body language mistakes women leaders make (article, 07-03-2011)
- Don't Think About It. Do These Five Things Instead (article, 14-02-2011)
- Designerjurk in de uitverkoop? Je achternaam bepaalt! (article, 14-02-2011)
- To ski or not to ski: Best ski-resorts for mixed couples (article, 07-02-2011)
- No Choice but to Choose (article, 07-02-2011)
- There is a You-Shaped Hole in this world (article, 01-02-2011)
- Leptin: How to make a fat-burning hormone work for you (article, 18-01-2011)
- 10 Rules for Brilliant Women (article, 11-01-2011)
- Quick tips to improve your profile and picture! (article, 11-01-2011)
- Why, beyond middle age, people get happier as they get older (article, 03-01-2011)
- De perfecte netwerkborrels van het nieuwe jaar (article, 03-01-2011)
- Huwelijkse voorwaarden: Goed voor ons!? (article, 20-12-2010)
- Don’t ignore the nasty side of sisterhood (article, 12-12-2010)
- Living a life of inspiration (article, 29-11-2010)
- Challenge: building the ultimate LEAP-list! (article, 20-11-2010)
- LEAP is coming to see you (article, 02-11-2010)
- Choice Management: letting small fires burn (article, 01-11-2010)
- Move over Time Management! Make room for Choice Management! (article, 18-10-2010)
- Liselore’s life and work with social media (article, 24-09-2010)
- Maaike Kamphuis on change through networks (article, 17-09-2010)
- Change Consultancy with Maaike Kamphuis (article, 09-09-2010)
- ‘Self-Leadership is a continuous path’ (article, 19-08-2010)
- ‘It’s about setting goals for yourself’ (article, 06-08-2010)
- ‘Be honest when you don’t have all the answers’ (article, 27-07-2010)
- ‘Self-leadership is a constant dynamic’ (article, 15-07-2010)
- “Allow yourself to float and experiment” (article, 06-07-2010)
- Koen Gonnissen on effectiveness vs excellence (article, 25-06-2010)
- Success factors of innovative networks (article, 27-05-2010)
- Have a dark chocolate, for science’s sake (article, 07-05-2010)
- ‘Dutch uninformed about heart diseases’ (article, 16-04-2010)
- Take the Soft Skills Quiz (article, 07-04-2010)
- The value of social networking (article, 27-03-2010)
- Béatrice Guillaume-Grabisch on networking (article, 22-03-2010)
- Martin Seligman on Positive psychology (article, 26-02-2010)
- Happiness good for the heart (article, 19-02-2010)
- Great Career, No Children (article, 05-02-2010)
- Blue light chases away winter blues (article, 21-01-2010)
- Style, with Laura Dufour (article, 28-12-2009)
- Create your own style (article, 21-12-2009)
- Turning energy drains into energy gains (article, 13-10-2009)
- Managing your career through parenthood (article, 08-10-2009)
- Time for a new business etiquette (article, 07-10-2009)
- "Connecting people" as part of KPN's CSR programme (article, 06-09-2009)
- Vitality (article, 04-09-2009)
- Top-level sports and a working career can mix well (article, 08-09-2009)
- Full of Vitality (article, 01-06-2009)
Columns in Life
- Traditional Coffee Houses in Vienna! (05-09-2011, Nicole Bader)
- Famous Operas in a Magical Setting!! (22-08-2011, Nicole Bader)
- Spectacular dining spots!! (09-08-2011, Nicole Bader)
- Antwerp: A fashionista's paradise! (25-07-2011, Nicole Bader)
- Hotel Particulier: A hidden gem in Montmartre!! (11-07-2011, Nicole Bader)
- Tram 28: Explore Lisbon the Traditional Way! (18-06-2011, Nicole Bader)
- City beaches in Europe are Hip & Happening! (06-06-2011, Nicole Bader)
- Discover the ‘charm’ of European cities with Nicole Bader (06-06-2011, Nicole Bader)
- Yonda Poslavsky talks reappraising decisions (30-11-2010, Yonda Poslavsky)
- Find Your Sweet Spot part 2 (20-11-2010, Amy Riley)
- Find Your Sweet Spot (08-11-2010, Amy Riley)
- The Importance of Fuzz (01-10-2010, Betsy Sobiech)
- Make young achievers visible! (05-08-2010, Alberta Opoku)
- Why brainstorming doesn’t work (13-06-2010, Margaret Heffernan)
- Béatrice Guillaume-Grabisch on networking (16-04-2010, European Professional Women's Network)
- Three ways to shorten your workweek (01-02-2010, Sjoukje van de Kolk)
- Mental resilience (28-01-2010, Patricia van Casteren)
- The 12-minute rule (04-01-2010, Taco Oosterkamp)
- Lifehacking: One week at a time, please! (22-10-2009, Taco Oosterkamp)
- 18+ tips to have your brain maximum activated (08-10-2009, Joeke-Remkus de Vries)