Beat the tax office to it and start now!
Tue 09 March 2010
, Marie-Pauline Luger, Vrouw & Geldzaken
As April approaches, the Netherlands is flooded with blue envelopes. ‘But why do we always wait on the tax office to get our finances in place?,’ our money coach Marie-Pauline Luger from Vrouw & Geldzaken asks. She has four last minute tips.
April is knocking at the door and in Holland this means everyone is preparing and filing her taxes. From my experience, generally 1 out of every 4 women makes a financial New Year resolution. This varies from getting their finances in order, cutting back on expenses, rearranging their insurances, to finally sorting out their investment portfolio, or filling the tax form in time this year. Despite the promising list, very few actually follow through, because work and family commitments take up all their time. And before they notice, April’s hit hard.
Last minute tips
One way to avoid this problem is setting up a system with which you’ll be prepared for filling the tax form. But it is rather late to start with this right now. So here are some last minute pointers to get started with the tax form, to avoid stress in the coming weeks.
- Use last year’s form as a starting point so you overlook miss any bank accounts.
- Update your list of bank accounts, and don’t forget your digital ones and your children’s accounts.
- Collect the important papers in time, such as house owner overviews, mortgage outlines, company shares etc.
- If you are sure you won’t manage to file your tax in time, request for postponement now.
After you filed the form take a good look at how you performed this year. In order to be better prepared or to perform better next year, get your finances in place starting from now. The incentives for taking care of your personal finances may not be as clear and straightforward as in the office. But the rewards far outweigh the trouble.
If you want to know how, go to our website for our practical filing system or workshop with experts.
Articles in Money
- Are Men the Real Winners with the Rise of Female Breadwinners? (article, 09-04-2012)
- Wage gap still there, unless you are a house-sitter (article, 26-03-2012)
- Oproep Kroes verzandt in gedateerd gesprek bij Pauw&Witteman (video, 15-03-2012)
- Emotion Analytics: The Missing Ingredient in Risk Management (article, 13-02-2012)
- Mine's Bigger than Yours: Challenges of Being a Female Breadwinner (article, 05-12-2011)
- 10 Things Baby Boomers Won't Tell you (article, 21-11-2011)
- Negotiate for…your family, friends, colleagues (article, 15-11-2011)
- 5 Tips to remember next time you negotiate a raise (article, 07-11-2011)
- Female leaders share advice at Wall Street Conference (article, 24-10-2011)
- Sonia Trocmé on CCTV (video, 24-10-2011)
- An inspirational journey (video, 10-10-2011)
- It - literally - doesn't pay to be nice (article, 05-09-2011)
- Effect van loopbaanonderbreking op salaris vrouwen (article, 18-07-2011)
- Aandeel e-shoppers in 2010 verder gestegen (article, 04-07-2011)
- Leuk werk? Alleen geld telt... (article, 27-06-2012)
- Bubble story (video, 05-06-2011)
- Serious Play: The Business of Social Currency (article, 17-05-2011)
- Banksparen steeds populairder (article, 02-05-2011)
- Remaking Portugal Telecom: An interview with CEO Zeinal Bava (article, 03-05-2011)
- Inkomen Japanse vrouwen passeert dat van mannen (article, 19-04-2011)
- Nu gaan vrouwen de best betaalde banen inpikken (article, 11-04-2011)
- Too expensive? Don’t listen to that little voice (article, 29-03-2011)
- Bedrijven scoren beter met vrouwen (article, 22-03-2011)
- Vrouwen werken meer voor minder (article, 15-03-2011)
- Whose money is it? (article, 25-01-2011)
- Ladies, Should You Ask For It? (article, 25-01-2011)
- Budgets are sexy (article, 18-01-2011)
- Young British women reverse pay gap (article, 12-12-2010)
- Lehman Sisters Wouldn't Have Failed (article, 07-12-2010)
- Chocolate will be the future caviar (article, 20-11-2010)
- Banking on gender diversity (article, 08-11-2010)
- European employees: ‘management are fraudsters’ (article, 19-05-2010)
- Women and money (article, 03-04-2010)
- Making cash with ‘socialnomics’ (article, 29-03-2010)
- ‘Can you afford your life?’ (article, 25-03-2010)
- Review: The four pillars of investing (article, 23-03-2010)
- Beat the tax office to it and start now! (article, 09-03-2010)
- ‘Every quality has its price’ (article, 02-02-2010)
- Suze Orman’s 2010 personal finance tips (article, 22-01-2010)
- Success in your work, success in your wallet... (article, 01-01-2010)
- Poll: I manage My Money at home... (article, 01-01-2010)
- Your money and you: (article, 01-01-2010)
- My money… (article, 01-01-2010)
Columns in Money
- The remedies for capitalism (25-04-2011, Paul Polman)
- Capitalism for the long term (19-04-2011, Dominic Barton, McKinsey/ Harvard Business Review)
- Review: 'The four pillars of investing' (16-04-2010, Alberta Opoku)
- ‘The Total Money Makeover’ (26-02-2010, Alberta Opoku)
- Make your money work at home too (21-12-2009, Marie-Pauline Luger & Dorieke Mulder)
- A tricky question (05-09-2009, Henriëtte Prast)